The finished home

The finished home

Saturday, July 24, 2010

ACROSS THE FINISH LINE

The final three years were spent finishing everything. Plastering, painting, finish trim, tile and carpet laying.

During this time, photos showing the house generally had a family member in it.

Below is son Tom putting out cookies and Milk for Santa. You can see the family room has been paneled and carpeted, but the hearth is still untiled. Tiling that hearth was just about the last thing I ever did in the place.



The following is Jan all dressed up for our long-awaited housewarming party. She is sitting in the finished living room.



During this period of time, I also built our first storage shed building. We were counting on the income from the completed storage shed complex to help keep us afloat in our later years. the below plan is what we had intended to eventually build.



Building one was the only one ever finished. I had enlisted help from Santa Fe's NMRA sanctioned Model Railroad Club to get the place up fast. I gave them a 20' x 20' space for them to build their model railroad layout in, and with their help, the place was finished in less than four months.

Below is the floorplan of building one with the 400 sq.ft. space for the railroad club.


The other three buildings would be identical except they would not have the large space.

I have lots of photos of this project. Following are a few of them.

Trainclub members doing some of the hard work


Wife Jan installing door latches and my Dad in the rear eyeballing progress.

A Joyous me as I finished the last of the plastering in the club room.

All the train club members - and myself - had regular 8-to-5 day jobs. We built this place in the evenings and on weekends.

No comments:

Post a Comment