The finished home

The finished home

Wednesday, July 14, 2010

YEAR THREE ADDITIONAL

Just before starting on the basement, Dad decided to pave the 365 foot dirt road from Airport Road to his house. My place was about halfway down that road on the east side.

That gave me the opportunity to have my driveway paved, so I rushed the sidewalks, edging and prepared the area - leveling, etc. It was unexpected and altered the construction schedule somewhat, but what a marvelous thing it was to no longer have to slide down that muddy dirt road after a rain, and have a mudhole for a front yard. There were times when it rained so heavy we actually got the cars stuck in the yard.

In the below photo you can just barely see the 1 foot-wide concrete edging I installed to define the pavement area. Its just below and to the left of the left tire of this roller.



One of the later owners had the pavement removed and started using the dirt road on the east side of the house for access. As I understand it, they wanted a hacienda-style patio where the pavement was.

I assume they then learned about the area's clay rich surface that made up the local dirt roads, stuff that turned into pure grease when wet.

No comments:

Post a Comment