The finished home

The finished home

Monday, July 12, 2010

YEAR TWO

Front porch arch work.

This year was devoted to getting the utility room converted into a useful but temporary kitchen, completing the installation of the furnace system, and getting the master bedroom and master bath upstairs operational.

After the plumbing was all finished, I installed an electric water heater, to be later replaced with a gas unit when the gas line was installed.

The walls and ceiling were mostly unfinished sheetrock, the floors were mostly still raw concrete covered with the occasional throw rug, but by the end of the summer, I had a livable place to be comfortable in.

And didn't owe a penny on anything.

I worked on the rear upper and lower porches, the lower porch having its own archway.



The foundation (2 cubic yards of concrete) and base for the family room fireplace is built.


A hole is busted out in the wall and the firebrick base is installed in preparation for the Heatalator fireplace unit.


The Heatalator unit has been installed and bricking it in has started. The young fellow in the picture mixed up and hauled the plaster and mortar I used for a few bucks each session he worked.


The flue and the brickwork(below) shoot up through the family room roof, which is now shingled in asphalt shingles. I add a shingling hammer to my collection of tools. The final quarry tile roof is still years away.



I finish the upstairs bath and master bedroom. Below is me doing the woodwork of the headboard for the bed. You can see my influence in decor, that's wood paneling and coach lamps. You can see the tops of those 8" woofers installed in the headboard.



The second year building season - summer and winter - was devoted to all those various projects to make the place livable and comfortable. To be that slim again...

The future wife project has progressed nicely... We are now seen everywhere together. She is still not yet aware(I think) that I'm building this home for her.

Of course, she may have been way ahead of me on all this...

No comments:

Post a Comment